Monday, April 11, 2016

Diay‏

**FYI : "Diay' is perhaps best translated as 'what happened', 'why not', or a number of similar phrases that can express surprise and wonderment." (I had to look it up!)

This week went super well, because in our companionship we had a change of heart together and we`re starting to be a lot more unified, and in just 2 days of having that happen, we`ve have many miracles, we were able to find a woman her mom and her two teenage sons yesterday by accident to be honest, we were looking for someone named Cynia, and the grandmas name was Cynia.. but it wasnt the one we were looking for, needless to say they dont go to any church and they let us in to teach them. The Spirit was super strong and we challenged them to prepare to be baptized, to follow Jesus Christ`s example and they accepted. So we`ll see how well they start to progress. Either way it was a super awesome experience and we`ve seen many blessings after having made this change in our companionship and individually. Never be satisfied with how you are today, be humble and ask God what you have to do to better, He`ll tell you. 

Love,

Elder Lohberg


**Mom note: got a message from Randall who owns the place where the Elders live and has been so kind to send me messages and kind notes about Aaron :)  His last message sent was: "Cooking time!!!! The elders were cooking PATACONES (fied green plantains) for dinner at home!! Elder Lohberg loves them!!!! It was yesterday !! Fun time with missionaries in Turrialba!!!"



😀

Aaron: hi mom 

Mom: woot woot! Hola! Como estas usted?


Aaron: acachete me estraña pura vida. Haha. Good good, we had a pretty good week this week, lots of changes in our hearts and we`re going to be much more unified as a companionship i believe. Josemaria is doing great, Sunday he payed tithing (rare to see that so soon) and Marcos has been progressing a ton, he says he wants to be baptized.. we`re just seeing if we`ll wait till 
April 30th to baptize him in the chapel because that week we get it, or if we try and find another pool or river or something.. the leaders want the baptism to count for this month but i know that the wards not going to like the idea of finding a place and transporting everyone again.. so we`ll see.. Patacones we cooked in oil both ways.. they`re salty, kind of like eating potato chips but better. no seasoning.. just salt sometimes if you want and you put a dip on them.. or beans and ham and sour cream. stuff like that. We made like 30 or 40 and each person ate like 8-10 idk. Don't know the kidd family =7 but that`s awesome. 

Mom: ok - what does "acachete"  mean? haha! Estrana is "strange"? and pura vida "pure life" got that so strange pure life? haha??
Well hopefully you and your comp will be able to move forward with the work and HOPEFULLY you will get to train next transfer too :)
I'm so happy for Josemaria - we still pray for him to progress - I'm so happy for the blessings of the gospel to enter his life - he seems like a man of great faith!! I love the story of him walking to and from church such a distance! 
So - the ward transported you to the baptism then? I was thinking you guys all walked there - that was what I asked last time and I thought you said the buses weren't running so you had to walk - but maybe I miss understood :p
That's cool for Marcos! I've continued to pray for him as well that he would feel the Spirit and it would help his heart to soften so he would be receptive to what it is you have to offer him.  So that is cool that he is progressing!  Cool that you guys will get back into your building - April 30th isn't that far away BUT I guess there is always that chance that a delay might happen - Has Marcos been attending church regularly then? Do you have to have your investigators attend 3 weeks consecutively or just 3 weeks in total prior to baptism?  Will you guys walk to church when it opens up again? Or is it too far from where you live - I can see it on the map but don't know how long the blocks are or what the distance actually is.  Does Randall have a car then that he takes you in to go places?
You will have to make us some of the patacones when you come home :p

Aaron: i`ll explain it later haha.. #ticospanish. yeah we started to walk there but we found a member who picked us up and took us.. and then took us to the center on the way back the bishop.. but we were going to walk and hour to get there. lol 3 times before but the idea is that they understand the sabbath day and keep it. the church is only a little further than the highschool from our house in the other direction. randal has a car yeah. 

Mom: so just tell me - is it bad? Like should I not put that phrase on the blog? :p
Do most of the members there have cars then?  You said " took us to the center" - is  the center a place or is that the center of the city or ? How did you get that pool anyways? I never asked you - is it someones house / private pool or is it a community pool?  Looked like there was a community pool not too far north of where you live (via the satellite picture I was looking at #stalkermom :p)

Aaron: no it`s not bad.. it`s like awesome, of course, pure life.. it`s a community pool.. we drive like 15 minutes, to the right i put it on the map i showed you. the center is the city of turrialba, the heart of it.. like downtown marysville. 

Mom: oh gotcha! Ya I saw where you went to pool at - it looked like it was south from where you live - but maybe I looked at it wrong :p
What else is going on with you these days??

Aaron: Not much.. not sure if I want to keep up reading D&C that way.. it kind of distracts me, takes me out of my focus, maybe I will just read it normally from start to finish and see how soon I finish it

Mom: it's ok - you don't have to do it.  
Tell me where you are studying in the book of Mormon these days?

Aaron: Today I read 3 nefi 28 to the end and then 4 Nefi 1 =) both super awesome. 

Mom: that's right - you said you get more time to study now right? Like I was thinking 3 hours? but maybe that is wrong :/
So - what are your plans today? Doing anything fun?  Did you make cookies or anything yet for Randall's family? or what are you planning to make? Did you need a different recipe(s) than what I sent to you already?

Aaron: 1 hour personal, 1 hour companionship, 1hour language. we`re going to go play soccer with tons of people because it`s a noworkday or school day and we`re going to make peanut butter balls I think. 

Mom: so does your comp speak English? do you teach him English or are you just 'practicing' Spanish?
is it like a holiday then?

Aaron: Yeah he understands a lot and speaks a little english.. we`re going to be working on it. yeah it`s a holiday but it doesn't have a name =P lazy day. 

Mom: so when you do an hour of language study is it to speak Spanish better or do you use it for both languages to help each other? Guess that is what I'm wondering as well.
Randall says your accent is better than his haha!
A friendly reminder: don't forget to write your general email :p
also - what sort of things have you been eating for meals lately? what's the most common thing you have and do you cook it yourself or is it when you eat with someone?  What sort of things has your cook been making for you? Do you have someone who does your laundry still or do you do it yourself now?

Aaron: We usually don't eat breakfast or dinner, unless they give us something.. maybe we just buy a snack or something, at lunch we have a sister who cooks for us, started about a month ago. She gives us a ton of food. she made us chicken cordon blue, she made us chicken pot pie, she barely gives us rice, she`s a great cook too be honest.. it`s awesome haha. But we do have to take a bus to get there =P I don't know to be honest these last few weeks I`ve just read liahonas or things like that in language study, but now I`m going to try and help him.. it`s basically a cut deal, I help him and lose my studies, or we both do our own thing and he learns nothing.. so i`ll have to just throw out my Spanish studies and help him.. either way everything I do is in Spanish all day long soo.. lol 
a lady washes our laundry.
a member

Mom:   Is your cook then a member as well?  Does she cook for her family too then when she cooks for you? And does she also cook for the sisters in your area or just you two? Lisa Henry thought you were looking skinny - thought you weren't getting fed - I thought you looked great for living in a country of rice and beans - you hadn't gained any weight and looked fit to me - not even too skinny :)
 how are your pants holding up? and your garments & shirts, shoes? Do you need me to send you garments or anything?

Aaron: nope i`ll be able to finish well. My garments are fine.. they`re actually not even like yellow or anything I don't think, people say my shirts are kind of yellowish now but i dont see it, they seem white to me. My pants, 2 have holes in the knees but stitched up, and another one I`ve sewn like 3 times, but it`ll last. I have 1 with me that I never used, my suits still okay, and I have my black pair that I rarely used too.. so i`ll probably bring them home with me. My shirts, I think I have like 2 I didn't use.. but I might try and give away my shirts and just bring 1 home. My shoes should last i think. We good we good 
Just us, no her son almost never eats much haha.. so she just cooks for us, it`s awesome. and she always gives us icecream or a sweet too :D I don't know if I`m getting skinnier or not.. I still have a ton of my protein powder.. might start using it.. I think I`m a little skinnier than when I left. 

Mom: well you might keep one shirt in decent condition to use for your return interview etc - we can buy new shirts / clothes when you get home.  I won't buy you anything until you get back - but we will be shopping - you will need: clothes, shoes, a computer, printer, phone and apartment supplies for school :P AND we will have to do it rather quickly as we only will have a couple of weeks to get it done.
that's cool - she is new to being a mission cook though?  I think Adriana is cooking for the mission in May she said - so you must be doing some big mission thing all together - unless she is just doing something for those in that area?  Do you know anything?

Aaron: no no, she`s just a cook for us.. I put that wrong. 
idk, hey when is mothers day, the 2nd Sunday in may right? 

Mom: yes it's May 8th - will you be skyping from Randall's place or from where?  I know you will let me know before that date.  I think your next transfers are the Tuesday after we Skype correct?
oh gotcha - so she's your "private chef" haha - glad she's a good one!  How much do you pay to have her cook for you?  How far away does she live? You said you have to take a bus there - how long does it take and how much $$ to ride there and back?  Do the sisters then have a different cook? How far away do they live from where you guys live?   Turrialba looks big on the map - is it big? 

Aaron: not sure when trasnfers are but yeah i`ll let you know, most likely from randals house. 
normal price.. 70 bucks each 35 mil. the bus is like 15 minutes, but we work there a lot too so, its okay, and it`s like a dollar there and back. the sisters cook for themselves, they didn't want a cook because the gringa doesn't like rice or beans  haha..they live like a minute from our house. 

Mom: Randall spells his name with 2 l's by the way :p just in case you write his name on something - you should spell it correctly for him :)
I'm glad you are loving your area - the people and the work.  It's funny how that works - the first year to 18 months you are counting the days sort of to go home but then it clicks and you don't want it to ever end because you are loving the people and the work etc.  #missionlife :D
silly sisters!! I love gallo pinto!! (that's how you spell that right? :P) I would eat it more if dad would let me haha

Aaron: gallo pinto yea. okay mom I love you a lot! I have to go now but I hope to be able to talk a lot next week too, no fotos because nothing to fotofy, but I love you a lot have a good week! 

Mom: no worries! Have a great week!! Randall sent me cooking photos :) #spoiled!!  LOVE YOU!!

No comments:

Post a Comment