Tuesday, March 3, 2015

¨Gentleman, this is a football.¨‏

Hello everyone, yeah, the subject title is a little weird, but I´ll try and explain why I chose it. This week went pretty well. It wasn´t our best week, but we´re trying to learn, like we learned in the MTC their is no growth in a comfort zone and no comfort in a growth zone. When we´re really trying to become the best we can we won´t have comfort, we´ll be giving all we have. I´ve been thinking a lot lately on how to teach my new companion, how to train him to start his mission off well. I´ve also been thinking a lot about my district, how I can help them rekindle their fire to work and their desire to have success. In my search I found myself listening to a lot of talks, many by Elder Holland and Elder Uchtdorf, and I was listening to one my Elder Uchtdorf when he talked about a football coach. This football coach at the start of every season would take his professional players and start as such; ¨Gentleman, this is a football, this is a football field, these are the rules, these lines on the field mean this...¨ and as such. Even though these players had played football for years and years he always taught them the basics, the simplest parts of the game. He believed that mastery comes from learning and relearning the most basic principles. I too believe that this principle applies to missionary work, indeed even to just being a member. Everything starts with our faith, our belief in the Savior and in His restored gospel. We act according to our faith, doing simple things, like reading the scriptures and praying, when we fall it´s usually because we failed in doing these simple foundational actions. In our district meetings I have tried to teach the principles, finding new investigators who want to learn the gospel, teaching with members, putting goals like baptismal dates. Everything in this world that is strong is built from the ground up. That includes our testimonies. I encourage you to review the foundations of your testimonies, make sure that they´re still as strong if not stronger than when you first joined the restored gospel and church of Jesus Christ! If you find they´re not as they once were, start with the basics; read your scriptures, go to church, pray, and fast. I love the four words from Elder Holland: ¨Hope On, Journey On.¨
With all my love, 
Elder Lohberg

No comments:

Post a Comment